Building/Zoning Permits

Building permits are required for most types of construction and grading activities in Fox Chapel. A Notice of Proposed Environmental Disturbance Application including a Stormwater Management Report in compliance with Ordinance No. 695 must be submitted for review by the Environmental Advisory Council (EAC) and approved by Borough Council prior to making application for most building permits. After approval has been given by the EAC and Borough Council, the application for building permit must be accompanied by two copies of a plot plan and two copies of the construction plans. Both plans must bear the seal of the professional responsible for the design. Requirements for your specific project may be obtained by contacting the Code Services Director.

The Borough began enforcing the Uniform Construction Code (UCC) July 1, 2004. Please visit PENNBOC’s (Pennsylvania Building Officials Conference) website for more information regarding the UCC.

The Building/Zoning Permit Application was prepared to help contractors and design professionals meet the requirements of the Borough’s Building Code and Zoning Ordinance. Building permits are required for most types of construction and earth moving activities. Some of the specific activities which require a building permit include: new structures, additions, alterations, demolitions, fences, decks, sheds, swimming pools, sports courts and satellite dish antennae over 36 inches in diameter. Please contact the Code Services Director prior to undertaking any of these activities or any similar activity to obtain the requirements for your specific project. Links to the individual documents contained in the Building/Zoning Permit Application are provided below. This information will help you to successfully complete the building permit application and the construction inspection process.

Building/Zoning Permit Application
Building Permit Fee Schedule
Zoning Certificate of Compliance Application
(This form must be submitted with the Building/Zoning Permit Application package.)

Building Inspections
All building inspections will be conducted during the hours of 9:30 A.M. and 4:00 P.M. All inspections will be BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. The appointment for the occupancy inspection must be made by 3:00 P.M. at least 7 days in advance of the desired inspection date. All other inspection appointments must be made by 3:00 P.M. at least 2 days in advance of the desired inspection date. There will be a fee for any reinspection.

Building Permit for Fences
To obtain a building permit for a fence a site plan indicating the height and location of the fence must be submitted along with the Application for Building/Zoning Permit.

Street Opening Permits
Street Opening Permits are required for any person, firm or corporation wanting to make any openings or excavations in or under any Borough street, road, lane or right-of-way unless and until a permit is secured from the Borough. An insurance certificate, bond and fee are required prior to the issuance of a Street Opening Permit. Contact the Code Services Director for more information.

Pennsylvania One Call System, Inc.
Call Three Working Days Before You Dig
1-800-242-1776 – It’s the Law!

Environmental Advisory Council/Building Permits

The Environmental Advisory Council (EAC) is comprised of seven (7) residents who are appointed by Borough Council to oversee environmental issues. Among other duties, the EAC reviews Notice of Proposed Environmental Disturbance Application Packages and makes recommendations to Borough Council for their approval or denial. Any owner/buyer wanting to obtain a building permit to build a home or construct an addition, deck, swimming pool, etc. must first obtain a Land Disturbance Application permit by submitting an application to the Environmental Advisory Council. The EAC meets monthly on the second Monday at 7:00 p.m. An Environmental Land Disturbance Application must be submitted to the EAC twenty-eight days prior to the second Monday of the month for consideration. An Application can be picked up at the Borough Office or obtained below:

Notice of Proposed Environmental Disturbance Application Package

Building/Zoning Permit Application

The following activities require approval of Borough Council and the EAC before beginning any work:

  • Subdivision of property
  • Any activity requiring a building permit including the erection of a storage shed or the installation of a fence
  • Excavation, landfill or similar activities (landscaping activities that involve the moving of less than ten (10) cubic yards are exempt)
  • In connection with the use of land, the making of any material changes to existing ambient noise levels, lighting levels, thermal conditions, access to solar skyscapes and the like
  • The alteration of a wetland or a shore, bank or flood plain of a creek, run, stream, lake, pond, etc.
  • Any change to surface runoff characteristics
  • The removal of any living tree six inches (6”) or greater in diameter measured at 4.5 feet above the ground
  • The erection of a sign

Many of these activities require the submittal of a detailed application, often with an accompanying survey, site plan, etc., and can take several weeks to process. If you are uncertain whether a planned activity requires Borough approval, please call the Borough’s Code Services Director beforehand to review the scope of the work.

GIS Maps detailing slopes, landslide risk and geology for properties can be obtained for a fee by submitting a Request for GIS Maps to the Borough Office.

Tree Removal Requests (10 trees and less) should be submitted to the Borough’s Tree Committee (sub-committee of the EAC) for approval. Requests that exceed 10 trees are submitted to the EAC.